Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Quick Succulent Centerpiece

I don't have a green thumb.  My herbs do well...when I remember to water them.  But sometimes you just want something that is a little harder to kill and doesn't require re-potting and all of that fun stuff. I was expecting company one day and I had dried boxwood and faux berries in a vintage plant box on the kitchen pass thru.  Did I mention it was April?  Yeah, I would've gotten razzed beyond belief on that one so I ran up to the nursery to throw together this...



I threw away the 'preserved' boxwood and took the box with me to the nursery so I knew that the pots I selected would fit.  I had no time for re-potting and I needed to be able to move them easily when they got bigger.

Now, lets get started.  Take your empty box or sewing drawer...


Put your pots in them and you're done.  See!  Easy!


I'm sorry, what did you say?  They look ugly with those pots sitting there above the top of the drawer?  I agree.  This is where Hobby Lobby came in...

50% off, yo.
I was going to buy some regular roll burlap but saw this dreamy blue and couldn't resist.  I measured out the length I would need with some overlap and then trimmed about 1/3 of it down so it wouldn't raise up over the plants since the pots were the only thing I wanted to cover.


I placed my succulents back in there and the pots were perfectly covered.  The only thing I didn't care for was the crappy potting soil I could see in that second one.


Luckily I had some pebbles that just 10 minutes earlier I wondered "what the hell am I going to do with these?"  Sorry for the blurry pic...I was just too excited that they blended in so well.


I put the side with the seam in the kitchen so guests wouldn't see it and boom...quick, instant centerpiece that should last me all summer and fall long.


It didn't even matter that I wasn't here for a month to water them!  I watered them the day before we left on vacation and put them near a window (not in it though so as not to scorch them) and they did beautifully.  I came back, gave them a little water and they were good to go!

There are many different varieties of succulents with different light recommendations so take that into consideration if you're going to keep yours indoors.

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)