Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Racing brains and massage

I wish I had a big exciting update for today but yesterday was pretty boring.

The Mr took yesterday off because he was up most of the night with a racing mind.  I know how he felt.  It took me 90 minutes to get to sleep and then I was up every 90 minutes or so.  So irritating.  I wish we had a power down button we could push at night.  It was all stupid stuff  too that raced through both of our heads.  Grrr.  It makes for a pretty groggy morning.



Last night I watched this show I've been wanting to see called Aloha Vet.  It's about a vet on the island of Kauai.  I cringe though because I hate seeing blood and tumors and stuff like that.  So funny considering I used to sit and watch the show Operation on TLC with my Grandma as a kid.  (That's when it was The Learning Channel and actually taught you things)  Anyhoo...he seems like a good guy so if we ever make the leap over and get a dog, hopefully he's still in business!

We had BBQ salmon and brussels for dinner and did a Fitness Blender upper body workout.  Only about 30 minutes but made us sore today!

Today I am going for my first ever massage.  The Mr got me a gift certificate back around the holidays to the lady who does therapeutic massage at my chiro's office.  I am kind of nervous because I don't know the protocol.  I know people get these done all the time but when you're fat, the last thing you want to do is get nekkid in front of a stranger.

What should I expect at my massage?  Any tips?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

16 comments:

  1. I have no advice about the massage other than to relax and enjoy it. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lower back is killing me today so I will! :-) Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. ve never had a massage, so you'll have to let me live vicariously through you. I'm sure she's a professional and has seen all kinds of bodies come through her office. Being nervous about being nekkid is natural, but you'll be just another client to her and it's not like you have to see her socially afterwards. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get as naked as you feel comfortable. I personally always leave on my underwear at least, but I know others go full on naked. Also, they keep most of your body covered with a warm sheet/blanket while they work on different parts of your body. So, if they are working on your back, your legs and bottom are covered up, and the reverse is true. I hope you enjoy it. Also make sure to communicate that it is your first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured on leaving my skivvies on for sure and I will tell her I'm a massage virgin. I'm sure it'll be pretty obvious as I babble all over myself. LOL

      Delete
  4. Typically I always go full naked during my appointments. Typically the massage therapist will meet greet you at reception, walk you back to the treatment room, ask if there are any special concerns that they should be aware of, and your expectations for the massage. At that point they will leave you alone in the room for you to undress and position yourself on the massage table under the sheet/blanket. My massage therapists always start on my back, neck and shoulders then move to my legs. After that I am asked to roll over, squish down so that they can remove the face rest, and they will proceed with more of the legs, feet, arms, hands, and scalp. Typically the only area ever exposed is the area being worked on. The remainder is under the covers to keep the muscles warm and relaxed. I just find it easier to relax being naked, as there is nothing to adjust. One thing I would recommend thinking about is tying up your hair to keep it out of the way and out of the massage oils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip about the hair! I grabbed a ponytail holder this morning, good to know I was on the right track with that!

      Delete
  5. I get massages regularly because it helps me with stress. I've tried various therapists and have never felt uncomfortable with any of them, but it is a bit nerve wracking that you are going to be naked in front of a stranger. If the person works in the chiropractor's office then she must be good! The therapist will vary the pressure based on what you want or can handle and the quantity of water you've been drinking will probably help (they always say to drink lots of water the rest of the day). Enjoy your massage!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought I never saw her when I was there because she wasn't there but when I went to make my appt, it was two weeks out because she's booked solid! She's given me a quickie in a chair while I waited once and she uses good pressure so I'm looking forward to being de-knotted! I will drink up upon my return!

      Delete
  6. Go naked. You'll be draped. When she has you turn over she'll help you with the drape and look the other way. Try to totally relax and enjoy. Try not to talk or have her talk and just focus on her hands relaxing you. Try to take deep breaths as that will help you relax too. She doesn't care about your size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm a bit too modest to go full monty on the first visit but perhaps in the future. I'm just afraid I'll grunt and sigh like I do when the Mr gives me a massage. LOL

      Delete
  7. Wear underwear!!!! Also, fight the urge to talk, listen to the music and RELAX. I share a few words with my masseuse at the start, but other than that, we do not have a conversation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I'm gonna! I've heard the same to not talk and enjoy it. I will definitely try! I leave in an hour!

      Delete
  8. Ah yes the racing mind! I call it the "hamster wheel" effect and it happens to me way too often. As for the massage, I got nothin'. I'm not a massage girl, unless it's my feet and even that I've never gotten done! People love them though, so I'm hoping you have a wonderful experience. The only thing I've heard of is to drink lots of water afterwards because of all the toxins that get stirred up from a deep tissue massage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep total hamster wheel. She gave me a bottle of water to drink afterward so I got a jump start on my usual amount these days.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)