Thursday, January 15, 2015

Oh Daddy

Anyone else start singing like Christine McVie while reading the title?  Anyone know who Christine McVie is or the song Oh Daddy?  Here...educate yerself.

Okay, so yesterday I was talking about those family movies and in one scene in the Jason Bateman movie the family was sharing memories about their dad.  When they asked Jason to share one, he couldn't think of one.

So I asked the Mr what memory he would share in that situation.  He recalled when he went on a trip alone with his dad and they went to Traverse City, MI and they rolled down Sleeping Bear Dunes.  It was one of the rare times that he had his dad all to himself and it meant a lot to him.

It was such a special memory that I planned a trip back for the first time since then for his 40th birthday.


I happened to fall in love with the city when we were there and it's a favorite fall vacation spot for us now.

When he asked about my dad, I had to think a bit.  My parents divorced when I was 8 so I didn't get a full childhood with him like the Mr got with his dad.  But what immediately came to mind wasn't a grand trip but just a simple moment.  I remember Dad driving me to the babysitter's one morning and he just bought a new van back in the 80's.  He would later go on to carpet that bad boy floor to ceiling but at this time, it was just the two seats up front and nothing in the back.  I was sitting on the wheel well in the back and he would swerve the car slightly to wiggle me around on the back of the well.  I would crack up laughing as the Doobie Brothers blared on the 8 track.  He took a turn pretty hard and I flew across the back of the van to the other side.  He asked if I was okay and I laughed hysterically.  I was having a blast.  He might've taken another turn or two sharp to send me into fits of giggles as I begged him to 'stop' but really meant 'more.'  That was the joy of being a tot in the 80's, we could get slammed around the back of vans or ride in the back of a pickup truck on the wheel well with no seat belt and only good sense to keep us safe.  Those were the days.

What is your favorite memory with your dad or significant male figure in your life?

====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Or you can follow me on Facebook )

8 comments:

  1. My Dad may be gone now but his memories live on with me and I know I am blessed to have that. I am glad you got a chance to have that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a wonderful man and I'm so glad you have good memories of him and you got to have that special moment with him.

      Delete
  2. Such fun things we did as kids that would never fly today. I'd probably get arrested for pulling my kid on a sled behind my car, but man was that fun (on the sled end anyway, not sure about the car end).

    I have so many great memories but one that stands out is my dad teaching me how to "carry". I was struggling with the concept of carrying numbers in math, so dad worked with me until I understood it. Then he put me on his shoulders, had my mom snap a polaroid (yes, a polaroid), and sent it to school the next day with the caption "dad teaching anne to carry".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I did that with my mom and it was one of my favorite memories with her when I was a kid. The tires were kicking snow up in our faces, it was hilarious.

      Aww, what a great memory and I love the story of the Polaroid! So sweet!

      Delete
  3. A couple of winters my dad built indoor jungle gyms for us out of PVC pipes in the basement so we could play. That was awesome but totally unsafe. We had swings and trapeze too. Today's helicopter parents would have fits. But my most vivid memory was him skiing off the back of the boat. He always looked so beautiful and strong and young and happy. We have pictures somewhere but I couldn't find them for his memorial service. But the image is clear and fresh in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it was awesome and the kids are alive to tell the tale is all that matters. That reminds me that the Mr said he dad made monkey bars out of dowel rods or something and they totally caved in. LOL That picture sounds beautiful and I'm glad if nothing else it's ingrained in your memory.

      Delete
  4. I don't know that it is a specific memory that I connect with, but I have a similar experience as you in that I didn't grow up with my Dad, so those special memories are different. But what sticks with me are two things: that he gave me my childhood nickname that he still uses to this day (Putt-Putt) and that he truly fostered my love of reading by getting me into Stephen King with Pet Semetary at the ripe old age of 12/13. Probably not what you would typically think of as "tween" reading material, but I loved it and was forever hooked on exploring different worlds through pages of a book.

    Now if I had to talk about favorite memories of my Grandpa, who was the true father figure in my life, they would be plentiful and I would write for days about them. But any memory where he is playing the harmonica is a good one. *wipes tears from my eyes*...Lord, I miss that wonderful guy and his harmonica!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's just getting certain traits, things in common, etc that can carry us a lifetime even if they weren't around much. They were around enough to make an impression.

      Sounds like you had a wonderful grandpa!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)